While we wait for the perfect time in our lives to make positive changes - the universe changes.
Things change, people change, and meanwhile we're stuck, not growing. There is no such thing as the perfect time. Without fail...juuuust before the timing is right, some unforeseen circumstance comes in and de-rails our plans. And if you'd just start today, you'd find that the universe rewards you for making BIG moves.
I've experienced this several times in my life.
You'd find that when you make the decision to change the way you think, change the way you eat, or change the way you love - little synchronicities present themselves. Some call this The Law of Attraction, the Reticular Activation System, God, Universe...whatever. But this concept of manifestation in our lives only occurs if you're willing to commit to change. Love and free-will govern the cosmos...and when you exercise your will to make a change...for your highest self...the universe notices. Because of course, everything is inter-connected.
This concept has proven massively effective with my coaching clients. These clients include, start-ups, entrepreneurs, pro athletes, innovators and others, seeking to get the most out of their lives. The people that hire me are ready to take control, and make positive changes in their lives. Not later. Now. Because:
There is no perfect time.
We tend to delay making massive changes in our lives because we're waiting for things to come together. But, the that time never comes. We want to get our finances in order before we have kids or start businesses. We want to wait until we're 15 pounds lighter before we start...anything. We tend to delay taking massive action that will improve our lives because we want things to be perfect.
And we wait.
To quote Dr. Seuss:
"Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting."
I don't have an Unlce Jake, but if I did. I wouldn't wait for his sorry ass.
So what can we do?
1. Make your bed. Seriously, make your bed. Achieve that small victory first thing in the morning and set the tone for your day.
2. Hire a life coach. Most of us don't have someone qualified in their lives to help us be our best. You BFF from high school can't, your mom isn't qualified, your boss won't. Find a life coach that will help you create the life that you want. Stop wondering what your life could be like, and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
3. Simplify your life. This is not easy...trust me, I know. I went from a cushy six-figure salary to betting the farm on a crazy business idea with zero experience. I had to very quickly simplify my life, I had to stop spending the way I was used to. I had to take a hard look at what was important to me in my life, and trim off all that wasn't critical. We get stuck in lifestyles don't we? Tyler Durden from Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk) says.
"The things you own, end up owning you."
But even beyond the way I was spending money, I had to simplify the way I was spending my time. I drastically reduced bar nights, cut out cable, ate out less, and focused on the next 5-10 years of my life, not Friday night.
Of course, if you're in a relationship - it's a tad harder. Whomever you're with is going to need to be on board to a certain extent. But, they're not going to understand it completely, so arm yourself with this mantra ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED, GIVE WHAT YOU CAN. Keep in mind that we are all individuals and if you're ready to make productive changes in your life, you've gotta start walking that road on your own.
But even further than your lifestyle, simplify the way you consume media. Take a break from it. You have enough going on in your mind - that you don't need facebook every 15 minutes to blast your coconut with useless garbage.
4. Remember that you will die. This is important. It's guaranteed. None of us get out alive, and keeping that in mind (in a healthy way) should motivate you to fucking move. I'm a huge fan of Stoicism, and authors like Marcus Aurelius are excellent sources to remind us about how to live.
"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live."
5. Clear your mind. You'll be amazed at how the bigger picture of your life comes together when you give yourself a second for stillness. Meditate. If you don't know how...email me email@example.com :) - or start in on Headspace. Your mind is a constant flowing stream of things both trivial and profound, and when you give yourself a chance to settle - you'll be amazed at what comes to you naturally.
So don't wait.
Start right now, doing the things that will fulfill you in your life.